Saturday, January 3, 2009

I'm amazed

Less than 24 hours after Jackson's surgery, he was back to 'normal'. As horrible as he looked and felt when we left the hospital and most of that afternoon, I would never have guessed that that evening and today, he would be bouncing on us, rolling all over the place, babbling, laughing, and just generally being the joyful boy he always has been! He wakes up from his naps and squealing with happy noises, he attempts to climb all over us when we are holding him and seems to not even remember that he has just had some pretty major surgery. I've kept him on his pain medication and will continue through the weekend. I don't want to not give it to him and end up having him in a lot of pain again. I will wean him off starting monday as long as everything goes ok. I also get to take off his bandages. I'm kind of excited to see how his boo-boos look under the dressings. Ok, maybe curious is a better word. But I am just so amazed at how well he has bounced back from this. I am so glad we didn't wait until he was older. Dr DeMarco said that the same day of Jack's surgery he was doing an identical one on a 7 year old boy and that boy would take about 4 times as long to recover. I feel horrible for that boy and his parents.
I'll post new pics of Jackson tomorrow in his "My Operation was Bearable at Children's Mercy" T-shirt. Granted its a size 2/4 but its still his shirt and he earned it!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I am so glad to hear that Jack is doing so well! Hope that has remained the case throughout the weekend :) I love the t-shirt idea! Sean didn't get anything cool like that! They were doing a telethon at the time though and he got a TY beanie baby which was nice.

Miss-buggy said...

hey no picture? :P

Amazing how fast small kids bounce back hey? Glad he is doing "well"

Loni said...

Hi Jack! I'm glad you are all better. Be good for your Mama, and tell her to give me a call when she gets a few spare minutes! Love you all, Aunt Loni