Friday, January 2, 2009

Jackson's Surgery update

Well, its all over!
Lastnight I put him to bed after lots of extra cuddles and kisses. I woke him up around 12:30am for another bottle before the 1:30 deadline. The look of confusion on his face was priceless. He ate about 2 oz so it was hardly worth it. I went to bed around 1:30 and 4.5 hours later, it was time to get up and get ready to head to Children's Mercy. I gave him a quick bath and buckled him into his carseat and off we were. We arrived at CM at 6:30am and were called back to the pre-op room. I was really worried that they would be doing the IV there, but to my reliefe, they do it once he is already asleep. So they brought out the cutest little hospital gown which I would have stolen if they hadn't stripped him down by the time we got to see him. He looked so cute in it. They took his vitals and we waited for the Drs to come visit with us.
Dr DeMarco is his urologist and he came and pretty much went over everything we had talked about at his appointment. The worst case scenario would be if the testicle was in his belly and he would need 2 surgeries to move it down. Then, it was time to carry Jack to the little wheeled crib and say goodbye as they wheeled him away. What an empty feeling that is. We went to the waiting room and twiddled our thumbs for about an hour and a half. Finally, Dr. DeMarco came back and said that everything was finished. The testicle was in his belly, but thankfully, it was low enough that he was able to get it done in this surgery. So no more surgeries for my baby! Woo Hoo.
It was another 30 minutes or so before they came to get us to see him. This is when things got hard. When we got back there, they had us go to ta little area, and then they carried him out. It was so sad because as soon as they handed him to me he started screaming. Not "OMG Mom, I'm so happy to see you" scream, but 'OMG, Mommy, it hurts so bad" scream. The nurse said that he was having a lot of pain and they hadn't gotten his pain under control. They went ahead and got us to try to calm him down. As I was holding him trying to get him calmed down, the nurse called the on-call Dr to get approval for some IV pain meds as well as a dose of oral meds. Thank goodness they got ahold of the Dr immediately and they gave him the IV meds. Those took about 5 minutes to fully kick in and he calmed down enough to where we could give him the oral dose. 10 minutes later, he was passed out. He was maxed out on pain meds in the hospital.
I don't think I really expected him to be in that much pain. It really scared me seeing him hurting so bad. Especially seeing my baby boy who never cries become so inconsolable. It was really heartbreaking. We got him dressed and in his carseat along with some extra padding on his front side. He slept the whole way home even with us stopping for his perscription.
The first few hours home were still rough, but amazingly enough, by this evening, he was almost back to his happy go lucky self. He has an incision above his belly button, one in his lower abdomen, and one on his scrotum. He still winces every now and then, but overall he seems to be handling it all very well. In fact, when I woke him up from nap earlier today, he had turned over onto his tummy and when he saw me, he got up on his hands and knees! That was the first time he's gotten up on all fours! I think its funny though because the nurse had told us that he wouldn't be sitting or pulling up while on his meds b/c they would make him so loopy, and here is my crazy kid accomplishing a milestone all hopped up on the pain killers! LOL

I'm so glad this is over!

2 comments:

Loni said...

I'm glad for you that it's over. I am so happy that it went so well. Tell him his Aunt Loni loves him and hopes that he feels back to perfect soon!

Miss-buggy said...

I was JUST thinking about you. I am glad it went well. Surgery is painful and I feel so bad for him. I am so glad they got it done in only one surgery and that it is done and over with. Glad you are home. YAY Jack for the milestone!

Thanks for updating