Saturday, August 11, 2007

lunch

I'm going to lunch today with my cousin Melanie and my ex-aunt Anita. I"m looking forward to it, but I'm kind of nervous too. Melanie and I have never been the greatest cousins. In fact I spent a large portion of my life hating her. She was spoiled and a HUGE brat. She told me when I was 7 years old that she just didn't like me and she never would. I know its crazy that I still hold a grudge against her for that...being I'm now 27 and she is 29...but still it hurt me. So fast forward 20 years and we are both married and have two beautiful little girls. We have something in common now for the first time in our whole life, and you better believe I am going to build on that. I think the thing is I've always wanted to be like her. My grandparents always wanted me to 'be more like her' and that also strained our relationship. I was jealous and envious of her. I was constantly being compared to her...she was the 'perfect' granddaughter, and I wasn't. I DO like her. Even though she can tend to be a bit flakey at times...But I think we really do have a lot in common and given the opportunity, we could become 'friend-cousins'.
As far as Aunt Anita goes...She was my Uncle's (mel's dad) second of 3 wifes. She ia AWESOME! and unti lMel's wedding I'd only seend her once since she and Bob divorced. I'm so excited to see her today and get a chance to catch up on life. Heck, I was only 2 when they got married and only about 7-8 when they got divorced, so there is a TON to catch up on.
Ok, well I"m supposed to be there in 30 minutes and the baby is still down for her nap so i better get going!

0 comments: